Saturday, August 04, 2007

Music

Music is something of a universal language. It touches our hearts and souls as well as stimulating our intellects. I'm partial to piano and guitar music and to classical music, although I enjoy religious music and popular music, as well.

I learned to play the accordian as a kid (my dad was a big Lawrence Welk fan) and I am forever grateful that I learned to read music and to play an instrument. I wish I could sing a lot better, but I guess we can't do it all! I'd probably improve with practice.

Needless to say, there are many music sites on the web. You can do a search on your favorite instrument, your favorite type of music, or any musical topic you want to learn more about. There are sheet music sites and lyrics sites, too.

One thing to remember, too, is that you are never too old to take music lessons or to teach yourself to play an instrument or to sing. It's also fun to learn about music styles and composers and to listen to different types of music over the internet or on the radio. You may find that you enjoy more than you expected to.

What instrument(s) do you like? What kinds of music do you enjoy?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, wish that I sang better. Last year, a sister from our showed me sallydeford.com, and I just loved it. You can print off the sheet music, AND for most songs they have one or more audio files, some with the vocals, some just the instrumental. if you don't mind singing in front of the computer, it can be a great way to practice. Oh, and I think it's all free! (at least the parts that I was using were)

I have always wished I were a more musical creature, and I have worked to become so as best I can as an adult. I do my best to let my children grow their budding talents on that score, and that will probably be more fruitful in terms of the musical legacy of the world than any 'joyful noise' that I might end up making. :)

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Mary A said...

Naiah, I have a link to the Sally DeFord site. I think it's all free--she wanted to share her music with others. I haven't spent as much time there as I would like, but I'm glad you mentioned it because it's something a lot of people might enjoy.

I think if we enjoy the music, it doesn't really matter how good we are. And it is a wonderful thing to pass on to children--the love of music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home