Saturday, July 14, 2007

Mid-Summer Thoughts

It is mid-July already. Where does the time go?

It isn't raining today in Oklahoma City. A few days ago, we surpassed our normal yearly average rainfall. Needless to say, there are flooding problems here and there around the state. I feel sorry about that--it can be really hard on people, whether their home is flooded or the road to their home is washed out. Some of the campgrounds around lakes had to be closed because they are flooded. It's a mess in places, but we did need to recover from drought. Nothing is ever easy, is it?

I have been reading an assortment of books--mostly about nature and about writing--lately. I expect to get my book for the next insurance class next week and will have less time for other reading for awhile once it arrives. I hadn't taken a class/test for quite awhile, so this last class was a bit of a warm-up for me--thankfully, it covered a lot of material that I was already somewhat familiar with.

I still feel like my self-education is somewhat scattered. I need to set some priorities, but everything is so interesting to me!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where does the time go? You think time goes fast? Wait till you have ten more years, you'll wonder how you made it through these long days. :-D

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Confutus said...

I've been dealing with the very difficulty you mention for years. Part of the problem is that everything is connected. Anything you study has the potential to branch into a dozen other things as fast as you can think of them, and each of those into a dozen more just as fast. A lifetime isn't long enough to learn them all. (I do my best to ignore that inconvenient fact)
What I'd recommend is never mind the "shoulds". Give yourself permission to sample a subject, scratch an intellectual itch, then and move on. Sooner or later, and most probably sooner, things that are sufficiently important will either thrust themselves front and center, or come up so persistently that you can't put them off any longer. When you're satisfied for the time being, you can always go back to something you wanted to study and had to put off, or even something entirely new. Trying to force or plan your own natural curiousity doesn't work for long.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Mary A said...

Pop, so you keep telling me! :D

Confutus, you are right about the connections! And I do have plenty of intellectual itches! You are probably right about trying to force my intellectual curiousity into a plan. Still, I think perhaps a general overall plan that allows for sidetrips might work. I can be too inflexible in my plans, and if I can learn to overcome that, it would be to the good. One never knows when or where something delightful might pop up!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Confutus said...

You never know what might show up if you just wander around. I've fallen into both traps, overplaning, and aimless wandering until I got lost. They're both frustrating. Sometimes, trial and error is the only way to find out what balance of spontaneity and planning works for your.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home