Saturday, June 23, 2007

Geography

If you are like me, you don't always have an accurate picture in your mind of where the places are that you read about in the news. It's easy enough to get a world map, a United States map, and an atlas or two (world or national), but it's also easy to find some geography sites on the internet. Three that I've found are:

About.com: Geography

Geography Network

Geography World

If you are in the market for a map or two, you could visit Maps which has all kinds of maps, atlases, globes, and travel guides. You can also find maps and such at local bookstores.

I find it helps me understand what is going on better if I can see a map and get an idea of the location. With the Middle East in the news so much, this is very useful to see how the countries are situated in relation to one another. Often, the geography sites such as the ones I listed above will give all kinds of information about a country--capitol, population, products, agriculture, etc. Needless to say, all this will help your kids with school as well as helping you know where things are happening.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A working knowledge of Geography is helpful in my industry. :) A pet peeve that I had when taking a Geography course in college is that they would give us these huge maps to fill in that were hard to see the borders and when I tried to fill them in from other maps including even the United States, they did not use different colors for each country like I was used to in grade school so that you could clearly see where one country starts and another ends. Yes, it is fine to have maps that show many things such as population density or elevation. But first it helps to learn place and location and it is very important to have clearly defined borders for this that. I should note that it may have been the Atlas my class was using that I felt fell short as well as the blueprint like maps that we had to fill in. Or maybe it is just me.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, I know what you mean about the maps--if they aren't clearly marked, like by using different colors--I can get confused by the small countries or states because it isn't clear which is which.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home