Saturday, May 30, 2009

Poly Ticks

(Hat tip to JR for the punny title to my post!)

The last time I wrote a post, I had this blog briefly shut down because some sort of robot thing pegged it as a spam blog since I had so many links including several to the same site. I asked the powers that be to review. They did and promptly released my blog from blog jail. No harm, no foul.

Actually, that probably was a good thing to happen because I knew I was overusing links. What I was trying to do, of course, was document my ideas and facts and also link you to articles explaining the viewpoint better than I could. Now I think what I will attempt is to explain myself without resort to links. The links in my sidebar are frequent sources for me, but you can always ask me about anything you read here.

My big thing this week is the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. She has made racist and sexist statements (that a Latina woman would probably make better decisions in court than a white male who hasn't had the rich experiences she would have had). If a white male had said the opposite, he would have been hung out to dry, so I do not see any reason to let her off the hook for such ideas. She has also said that judges make policy. Judges are to do nothing but uphold the law by applying it to the cases before them in a fair and impartial manner.

There are also problems with her gun control opinions and her recent ruling in Ricci v. DeStefano against the firefighters whose promotion test results were thrown out solely because of the race of those who passed (all white except for 1 Hispanic). She also has a very high percentage (60%) of her rulings overturned. That can't be good.

I could list several other difficulties with her nomination, but those are the most important ones I've come across so far.

The oath a Supreme Court Justice must take is as follows: 'I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as (title) under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.'

Somehow, I believe that Sonia Sotomayor is incapable of being true to that oath.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home