Saturday, November 24, 2007

New Superfoods

I found an article at Science Daily about some new superfoods you can add to your diet for good health. Not that they are new foods per se, but science has discovered more about how healthful they are. The article is called "Try Adding These Superfoods to Your Thanksgiving Dinner This Year". It's a little late for Thanksgiving, but try them with your leftovers.

Kiwi is a delicious fruit with a strawberry-like flavor. Apparently, they are also extra healthy! The other foods mentioned are barley, cranberries, kefir (anyone know what this is?), and broccoli sprouts, which I'm not familiar with, but I like broccoli, so I'll probably like them.

I just made a trip over to Wikipedia. Here's what they have to say about Kefir:
Kefir (alternately keefir, kephir, kewra, talai, mudu kekiya, milkkefir, bĂșlgaros) is a fermented milk drink that originated in the Caucasus region. It is prepared by inoculating cow, goat, or sheep's milk with kefir grains. Traditional kefir was made in skin bags that were hung near a doorway, and the bag was knocked by everyone passing through the doorway to help keep the milk and kefir grains well mixed.[1]

Kefir grains are a combination of bacteria and yeasts in a matrix of proteins, lipids, and sugars. This symbiotic matrix forms grains that resemble cauliflower. Today, kefir is becoming increasingly popular due to new research into its health benefits. Many different bacteria and yeasts are found in the kefir grains, which are a complex and highly variable community of micro-organisms.[2]

Traditional kefir is fermented at ambient temperatures, generally overnight. Fermentation of the lactose yields a sour, carbonated, slightly alcoholic beverage, with a consistency similar to thin yogurt[3].
I think I'll pass.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Amira said...

This description makes kefir sound nasty, but it really is delicious. I never had it much before I went to Kyrgyzstan, but I got hooked on it there and now I make it at home. If you like plain yogurt or buttermilk or both, kefir shouldn't taste too awful to you. And you might even like it. And it's really easy to make.

Mostly I use it in smoothies (even my very picky son will eat a kefir-based smoothie, and this child eats almost nothing weird). If you add cranberries and kiwi to your kefir smoothie, you're doing great. :)

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Mary A said...

Hi, amira! I thought about you when I wrote the post--wondered if you had tried kefir. I do like buttermilk and plain yogurt, so maybe I would like kefir. The smoothie idea sounds delicious! Great idea to use kiwi and cranberries! I wonder what would happen if I also added barley and broccoli sprouts! Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Titus Todd said...

How do you make your kefir, amira?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home